Substitute license plates and/or stickers may be requested when:
- Your vehicle’s original license plates and/or stickers are lost, stolen or damaged and you want to replace them with license plates of the same type or format.
- You want Chesapeake Bay or Agriculture license plates to replace your standard license plates (white background with black characters); or,
- You want standard license plates to replace your Chesapeake Bay, Agriculture, personalized message (vanity), or organizational license plates.
Typically, you will need to submit the following items to receive the substitute license plates:
- Application for Substitute Plates/Stickers – if you are exchanging your specialty license plates (e.g., Bay, Agricultural, personalized message (vanity) or organizational plates) for new standard license plates, write the words “Regular License plates” on the application form.
- Commemorative Bay Plate/Agricultural Plate Application – use this application form in place of the Application for Substitute Plates/Stickers if you are exchanging your standard license plates for new Chesapeake Bay or Agriculture license plates.
- Current license plates and registration card – if you still possess them
- Applicable fee
- Proof of your identity (in-person applications ONLY)